Tag Archives: fire

The Charleston 9: Remembered

Let us never forget the tremendous sacrifice our firefighters, their families and coworkers make.  Their efforts and legacy must be one of honor, remembrance and learning.  Hear, in their own words, their story.  Special thanks goes out to the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation for this presentation and the their tireless efforts to assist firefighters in getting home.

To my friends in the Charleston, S.C., Fire Department, I am proud of your long, albeit painful, and continuing recovery process.  Your  story is one of lament, progress and hope.  Your strength and resilience is inspiring.

A lesson for us all…

The Ultimate Sacrifice…

Trapped??? Think Bailout!

It is our greatest hope that firefighters will recognize trouble and exit the roof or upper floors before it becomes too late.  The use of thermal image devices and training in flash-over simulators are giving firefighters better ‘intel’ concerning changing conditions on the fire-ground. Unfortunately, “Situational Awareness” is still lacking severely.

Loss of or limited egress options are causing firefighters to use personal escape rope or  personal escape devices/systems.  Firefighters must review indicators indicators and the decision list  for deployment.

Firefighters must also become completely familiar and train with their specific system to become comfortable and confident in its use.

“The New Fire Fighter”

As a firefighter, there is a new “app” you have to learn; it’s called you “App-aratus“!

 

UCFA Graduation Keynote: Semper Paratus

Had the opportunity to address the graduating fire fighters at the Union County Fire Academy Graduation.

 

The High Rise Fire Study

The effects of crew size and fire location that determine various outcomes.

Thirteen Fire Fighters Hurt: Hazmat

Thirteen firefighters were taken to area hospitals for treatment Wednesday after fighting a garage fire in Hamilton that contained chlorine, fire officials said.

The 2:45 p.m. fire ripped through two large garages in the 2000 block of South Broad Street, gutting the buildings and at destroying two vehicles parked inside one of the garages, firefighters and witnesses said.

One of the garages contained a container of chlorine, the kind used in backyard pools, and when it burned it caused a gas that caused several firefighters to suffer respiratory injuries, fire officials said.

HamiltonFire2

At about 3:15 p.m., as an odor of a chemical hung in the air, fire officials and Hamilton police officers moved onlookers out of the immediate block, saying the fumes from the chlorine would be harmful to inhale.

And the numerous firefighters who responded were moved a block away and emergency medical officials started setting up a decontamination process for the firefighters, so they could then be taken to local emergency rooms for evaluation.

Continue reading Thirteen Fire Fighters Hurt: Hazmat

New Book: Dr. Burt Clark – I Can’t Save You, But I’ll Die Trying

BurtClark

https://www.facebook.com/FireCultureBook

Dr. Burton Clark Is a passionate professional and cares about our noble profession.

Moreover he cares about people and those who will risk their own lives to save them.

From solid factual information or training reluctant firefighters to call a May-Day;  Dr. Clark has been a wealth-spring of knowledge.

All the best…

P.S. – Received my copy this weekend, can’t wait to finish it!

Pass It On!!!

passit1

Got the tremendous opportunity to share some things with an incredible Fire Chief, Billy Goldfeder.  He put them in a book with the addition of some other fire and emergency personnel.

Click here for more: Pass It On

IMG_0055

JCFD: Seidler Street Fire 2015

Homeowner, Firefighter Dead After Overnight House Fire

April 13, 2015, 7:34 AM by Brandon Van Westen
Updated: April 13, 2015, 8:43 AM

Homeowner, Firefighter Dead After Overnight House Fire
BRANDON, SD -A homeowner and firefighter died in a Monday morning house fire in Brandon.According to Brandon Police Chief David Kull, homeowner 47-year-old David Smith was transported to a Sioux Falls hospital where he was pronounced dead.At 10:41 p.m., firefighters were ordered to exit the home and at 11:01 p.m., a Valley Springs volunteer firefighter was reported missing. At 1:30 a.m., his body was located in the basement of the home.The identity of the firefighter has not been released at this time.

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:
The age of David Smith has been corrected after receiving revised information from authorities.