Thirteen firefighters were taken to area hospitals for treatment Wednesday after fighting a garage fire in Hamilton that contained chlorine, fire officials said.
The 2:45 p.m. fire ripped through two large garages in the 2000 block of South Broad Street, gutting the buildings and at destroying two vehicles parked inside one of the garages, firefighters and witnesses said.
One of the garages contained a container of chlorine, the kind used in backyard pools, and when it burned it caused a gas that caused several firefighters to suffer respiratory injuries, fire officials said.
At about 3:15 p.m., as an odor of a chemical hung in the air, fire officials and Hamilton police officers moved onlookers out of the immediate block, saying the fumes from the chlorine would be harmful to inhale.
And the numerous firefighters who responded were moved a block away and emergency medical officials started setting up a decontamination process for the firefighters, so they could then be taken to local emergency rooms for evaluation.
Continue reading Thirteen Fire Fighters Hurt: Hazmat
This video clip is narrated by Jeff Cool from Rescue 3 of the FDNY. It’s a small segment taken from the IAFF Fire Ground Survival Program. The video recaps the events that took place at a tenement fire on January 23, 2005 in the Bronx, New York – Which killed Lt. John G. Bellew and Lt. Curtis Meyran and caused severe and critical injuries to Lt. Joseph DiBernardo, FF Jeffery Cool, FF Eugene Stolowski and FF Brendan Cawley
All videos and information we share here is to give us an opportunity to honor our dead and make sure that they did not die on vain.
Almost every SOP/SOG and change in tactics, we have, were written in blood and etched on tombstones.
Learn the lessons well…they paid with their lives for us…
Dr. Burton Clark Is a passionate professional and cares about our noble profession.
Moreover he cares about people and those who will risk their own lives to save them.
From solid factual information or training reluctant firefighters to call a May-Day; Dr. Clark has been a wealth-spring of knowledge.
All the best…
P.S. – Received my copy this weekend, can’t wait to finish it!
This video will give you an aerial vantage point of the Mississippi State Fire Academy. You will see our campus and many of our live fire burn props. Portions of this video were filmed with the DJI Phantom 2 Vision +, a UAS we use used to capture reconnaissance and aerial size-ups.
Got the tremendous opportunity to share some things with an incredible Fire Chief, Billy Goldfeder. He put them in a book with the addition of some other fire and emergency personnel.
Click here for more: Pass It On
Podcast: Play in new window | Download | Embed
Subscribe: Android | Email |
Take a look at this simple but effective Mask Confidence and May-Day training evolution. Many times firefighters find themselves in trouble, when they lack situational awareness. They panic or even call for help too late.
Notice the importance or air management and communication. These two issues, along with others (teamwork, situational awareness and practice), aid the entangled or trapped firefighter to participate in his/her own rescue.
Rigorous and routine training in mask confidence will build up the attitude and skill set needed. Calling the MayDay, when MayDay parameters are encountered, will aid greatly in more positive outcomes.
I, recently, had a super session with some firefighters on just talking through the basics of safety and survival.
Questions like: How do you orient yourself, while moving through a building? How do you communicate with each other? How do you navigate additional hazards? How do you maintain accountability and crew integrity; when the fecal matter hits the ventilation system???
Which Way is Out????
Bumps to the Pump!
It was a productive and informative session. (and I hope they got something out of it too….LOL). #fireofficertrust
TIME to ACT: Review your agency’s MayDay procedures today! Update them, if needed. Train on them until you know them cold!
The firefighter you save could be you!
April 13, 2015, 7:34 AM by
Updated: April 13, 2015, 8:43 AM
BRANDON, SD -A homeowner and firefighter died in a Monday morning house fire in Brandon.According to Brandon Police Chief David Kull, homeowner 47-year-old David Smith was transported to a Sioux Falls hospital where he was pronounced dead.At 10:41 p.m., firefighters were ordered to exit the home and at 11:01 p.m., a Valley Springs volunteer firefighter was reported missing. At 1:30 a.m., his body was located in the basement of the home.The identity of the firefighter has not been released at this time.
This article has been revised to reflect the following correction:
The age of David Smith has been corrected after receiving revised information from authorities.
© 2015 KELOLAND TV. All Rights Reserved.